A growing number of corporate leaders who recognize the importance of maintaining uptime keep incraeasing. When talking about how to prevent and deal with downtime, there is no silver bullet for this. Unless your company has a backup server that is always standby to deal with downtime incident. In addition to routine directed maintenance, Disaster Recovery as a Service is one of solution to overcome downtime.
Disaster Recovery Planning
There is two metrics that need to be remember about Disaster Recovery:
- RTO (Recovery Time Objective)
A time limit of acceptable offline metric. It will be related to the Service Level Agreement (SLA) either to the customer or vendor.
- RPO (Recovery Point Objective)
A metric specified maximum time limit to the possibility of losing data when a system failure incidents occurs.
Furthermore, there are several factors in the disaster recovery plan that need to be set, as per below:
- Design according to your recovery objectives
- Design for end-to-end recovery
- Make your tasks specific
- Applying control measures
- Integrate your standard security mechanisms
- Keeping your present software license
- Configuring your machine images to reflect your RTO
- Maintaining more than one path data recovery
- Test your plan regularly
In this digital age, disaster recovery can not be seen only as a complement to compliance requirements only. Backup IT infrastructure is essential in dealing with situations in digital transformation process. Business competition in the digital transformation age will make a lot of companies in Indonesia which will focus more on innovation. This can lead to greater system failure or downtime. Surely, the leader in enterprise must prepare to cope with set of downtime prevention. Thus, enterprise operation do not have to be stalled because only testing new features or applications.
Especially in the banking and insurance companies. Where financial transactions and operational activities are so numerous and the era of Fintech, they are in need of disaster recovery in the territory of Indonesia to be able to perform fail-over less than 15 minutes. If not, it will be a lot of losses from the whole aspect.
Disaster Recovery Solutions To Overcome Downtime
From a long history, we can understand the causes and effects of system failures (downtime). Here are the impact of a system failure :
- Disturbed operational. Employees can not work and it would be a waste of time which resulted in an ineffectiveness of employee costs incurred by the company.
- Lose potential revenue. Many transactions for monetizing be interrupted or delayed. And it can make your customers run to your business competitors.
- Cost of repairs. The longer the downtime occurs, then the problem may be widespread (catastrophic) and repair costs incurred as a consequence of it will be even greater.
- Your company brand or your product can be damaged, loss of consumer confidence.
- Your business advantage can be decreased. At the same time, the competitors are racing to keep moving forward.
In the era of digital economy, innovation is the solution to survive as well as to grow the business. How many large companies were hit hard because of the presence of new companies that are more advanced in terms of innovation. As a consequence of the DevOps cultures and DevOps system has not been implemented, then innovation activities have more potential to hamper your operations both for unexpected and unpredictable.
What We Can Take From This
From the above, a recovery solution must be provided. So that your company does not need to worry in facing a downtime. When downtime occurred either because of a system failure or malfunction due to one of the devices, then the system can divert disaster recovery operations while the backup system is always available to keep your business operations running.
With well designed and tested disaster recovery plan, you can ensure that the impact on the bottom line of your business will be minimal in the event of a disaster or system failure. Elitery Disaster Recovery Solution has a solid options, flexible, and cost-effective that you can rely on to build or add disaster recovery solution for your enterprise.